Silent Meditation?

jmarkey@q.continuum.net (John & Nikki Markey) wrote:

>>Of course so many people talk about silent meditation. Sitting in the

>>lotus position, making the mind still... But it is not possible in this

>>age. Everything is so disturbed. That system of meditation has to be

>>performed in a sanctified holy place and there are so many prerequisites.

>>It can not be performed in the middle of our big cities...

>So many teachers, even the Gita, talks about this. Let every act of every day

>be a meditation. If your "technique" isn't working, it may involve your ego

>more than your spirit.

Krishna describes the sankhya-yoga system [hatha-yoga] to Arjuna in the

sixth chapter of the Bhagavad-gita but Arjuna tells Krishna:

"O Madhusudana [Krishna], this system of yoga which you have summarized

appears impractical and unendurable to me, for the mind is restless and

unsteady. The mind is restless, turbulent, obstinate and very sttrong, O

Krishna, and to subdue it is, it seems to me, more difficult than

controlling the wind." (Bhagavad-gita 6.33-34)

So this "technique" of silent meditation is not for this age. It is

cheating only.

"Today's so-called yoga practice, which involves various sense pleasures,

is contradictory. A yogi indulging in sex and intoxication is a mockery.

Even those yogis who are attracted by the siddhis (perfections) in the

process of yoga are not perfectly situated. If the yogis are attracted by

the by-products of yoga, then they cannot attain the stage of perfection.

Persons, therefore, indulging in the make-show practice of gymnastic feats

or siddhis should know the aim of yoga is lost in this way. The best

practice of yoga in this age is Krishna consciousness, which is not

baffling. A Krishna conscious person is so happy in his occupation that he

does not aspire for any other happiness. There are many impediments,

especially in this age of hypocrisy, to practising hatha-yoga, dhyana-yoga

and jnana-yoga, but there is no such problem in executing karma-yoga or

bhakti-yoga. (From Srila Prabhupada's purport to Bhagavad-gita 6.20-23)

So how did Krishna respond to Arjuna? Krishna explained sankhya-yoga in

the sixth chapter and at the end of the sixth chapter Arjuna expressed his

inability to practice meditational yoga so Krishna said:

"A yogi is greater than the ascetic, greater than the empiricist and

greater than the fruitive worker. Therefore, O Arjuna, in all

circumstances, be a yogi. And of all yogis, he who abides in Me with great

faith, worshipping Me in transcendental loving service, is most intimately

united with Me in yoga and is the highest of all." (Bhagavad-gita 6.45-46)

Bhakti-yoga, the conclusion of Krishna's teachings in the Bhagavad-gita,

is not silent meditation or inactivity. Bhakti-yoga means acting for

Krishna instead of acting for oneself. So instead of cooking for ourselves

we can cook for Krishna. If we develop the consciousness that "I am

cooking this food for Krishna" and do it with love and then make an

offering to Krishna, He will accept our love and the food will become

spiritual pradsad, or "Krishna's mercy". So this is the practical method

of yoga for this age, chanting Krishna's name's, cooking for Krishna,

dancing for Krishna, growing fruit, flowers. etc for Krishna... Most

activities can be done for Krishna...

>>In this age [Kali-yuga] only one form of meditation is recommended. That

>>is chanting the name of God. It is a universal process and it is very

>>powerful. All the bona fide names of God are potent but there is one

>>special mantra, the maha-mantra, or the great chant for delivering the

>>mind, which is particularly reccommended:

>>      Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

>>           Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare

>It is my feeling that this is oftentimes chanted from the solar plexus more

>than the heart. From the heart, one can meditate anywhere, especially with

>this great mantra that has been shared here with us.

Of course you have your feelings but, with all due respect, we don't mind

so much about these feelings. We know where the holy name is coming from.

It's a purely spiritual vibration descending from the spiritual world. It

is Krishna Himself in the form of sound. the holy name has all the power

and potency of Krishna Himself...

"The holy name of Krishna is transcendentally blissful. It bestows all

spiritual benedictions, for it is Krishna Himself, the reservoir of all

pleasure. Krishna's name is complete, and it is the form of all

transcendental mellows. It is not a material name under any condition, and

it is no less powerful than Krishna Himself. Since Krishna's name is not

contaminated with material qualities, there is no question of its being

involved with maya, Krishna's name is always liberated and spiritual; it

is never conditioned by the laws of material nature. This is because the

name of Krishna and Krishna Himself are identical."

>>So try it. You will find it very effective. We can't make our mind void,

>>we have to engage it in some activity, so instead of thinking nonsense

>>thoughts think of Krishna. Instead of planning how to satisfy ourselves we

>>can plan how to satisfy Krishna, instead of cooking for ourselves we can

>>cook for Krishna...

>>Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)      /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!