Krishna.org Website Statistics
Comments Posted By Thomas
Displaying 1 To 8 Of 8 Comments
Madhudvisa dasa, first off, I must say It has been a pleasure having an rational and a respectful exchange of ideas with you. Your response to albedo made sense and your response regarding the Earthshine illuminating the moon has piqued my interest into wanting to do some research on the ancient science I didn’t even knew existed. Thank you for enlighting me. Have a great day sir!
» Posted By Thomas On February 11, 2018 @ 5:22 am
Madhudvisa dasa, I have been reading your claim that Earthshine is 50 Times brighter than the full moon, and pretty much agree with your statement,but there are a couple of variables that you have overlooked, or ignored, that in my opinion, taints your overall conclusion that you should be able to see the surface of the moon. First, since neither the Earth or the Moon emits it’s own light, but in fact reflects Sun light there is the variable called “albedo”. The albedo for Earth is about 30%, which means 30% of the sun light that hits the Earth is refected back into space and the other 70% is absorbed. The Moon’s albedo is much lower at 10%-12% that is because there is no atmosphere, oceans or clouds and snow. So this means that only 10% of the light that hits the Moon is refected back into space and the rest around 90% is absorbed. Now, with that being said even thought the Earthshine is more like 40 Times brighter than the full moon only about 10% of the Earthshine illuminates the surface of the moon, therefore the moon would not seam as bright. The other variable that you overlooked is the notion that since you could not see the surface of the moon lit by Earthshine with the naked eye your conclusion is that the moon couldn’t be the cause of the eclipse because it isn’t visible is false. First of all, even though there is Earthshine illuminating the surface of the moon, it isn’t as bright as you estimated because of the low albedo. Now add that with the brightness of the Corona and the bright sunlight still coming though until eclipse totality and that is enough to overwhelm our eyes because our eyes are not sensitive enough to overcome the glare. But you could see the moon’s surface features if you were photographing the eclipse, or looking at the moon with binoculars or telescope. I do have an open mind and respect your opinion but your arguments were not completely valid. Thank you and have a wonderful day
» Posted By Thomas On February 10, 2018 @ 8:30 am
Dear Madhudvisa Prabhu,
While you say ISKCON doesn’t put emphasis on a guru’s qualifications, it’s reasonable to think that someone in ISKCON may indeed be qualified. Just who that is or is not, I can’t say. That puts me in an uncertain position, as while I’m not sure about ISKCON’s gurus, I also don’t support the Rtvik position. And while I know I can receive siksa from Prabhupada, I don’t believe I can receive diksa from Him. “Ay, there’s the rub.” So, what’s a guy like me suppose to do? Do I look in some other Gaudiya-Vaishnava group?
» Posted By Thomas On January 28, 2013 @ 4:21 pm
Can you look up something for me? I’m rereading Srimad Bhagavatam
and I’m up to Canto 4. I think I’ve found an error. I’m not talking about the infamous “changes”, nor am I suggesting the error is only in your reprint of the orginal, but it’s in EVERY printing and reprint of EVERY edition since SB was ever printed. It’s at 4.4.20 Purport. A few lines into the Purport. It says:
“The four different social orders—brahmacarya, gṛhastha, vānaprastha and sannyāsa…”
Therein lies the problem. Aren’t brahmacarya, grhastha, vanaprastha and sannyasa the four spiritual orders.
My request is I’m asking you to check to see if this error is in the
pre-1978 editions? I don’t have it.
New York City
» Posted By Thomas On September 26, 2012 @ 9:45 pm
How to live “alone” with a wife and four cats in Manhattan, now THAT’S a challenge!
» Posted By Thomas On April 22, 2012 @ 8:04 pm
One of the very first teachings I remember was that Krishna is available by his name. Forgive me please if I am wrong, but the very humble are not indoctrinated to Krishna consciousness, rather one goes to Krishna without confusion or appeal, one goes to Krishna solely from desire to be with Him. Service to Krishna must also stem from this place.
I am just bhakti Thomas, I do not worship my own intellect, but I do not believe that a person can transfer to a belief not already recognized by the soul. People wander to and from religions in search of God, spiritual fulfillment and themselves-instead they should start with God, the rest is fulfilled there.
» Posted By Thomas On September 19, 2016 @ 6:58 am
I am really starting to understand ever since I have been reading these newsletters. I believe Krishna is the real Godhead.
» Posted By Thomas On February 25, 2010 @ 5:02 am
Well i had a homework to find out about modern day miracles and i have to say these are amazing! I mean i had only heard about miracles happening thousands of years ago but it is great to hear they are still happening now!
» Posted By Thomas On September 19, 2009 @ 10:46 am