Published on November 12th, 2021 | by bhaktivinoda-thakura | Full size image4
The Pastimes of Scholarship
Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, a great scholar and spiritual master, has written that in his youth he absorbed himself in speculative books on religion and philosophy. This song is his reflection on the value of that scholarship.
(1) Once I spent long, long hours in the pastimes of scholarship. I never took to service of Your lotus feet as I do now.
(2) Reading on and on, never finding satiation, I felt that knowledge would be the highest goal. That hope was false and fruitless — that knowledge was ignorance.
(3) Materialistic studies are the glare of maya only, for they are an obstacle to spiritual progress. The infatuated person is trapped in the impermanent world, falsely trying to enjoy it, and such studies make him as foolish as an ass.
(4) When they stretch out over a long time, one loses all energy and is sapped of all power to enjoy. By the time old age comes, nothing in the world is tasteful for such an ass.
(5) Now at the end of life I realize that all my academic study is ignorance. Realization of this fact is burning like a piercing dart.
(6) Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura says: “Without Your lotus feet there is no value in the world. Reflecting upon my material studies, I take to Your lotus feet and superexcellence. “
vidyara vilase, katainu kala,
parama sahase ami
tomara carana, na bhajinu kabhu,
ekhona sarana tumi
podite podite, bharasa barilo,
jnane gati habe mani’
se asa biphala, se jnana durbala,
se jnana ajnana jani
jada-vidya jata, mayara vaibhava,
tomara bhajane badha
moha janamiya, anitya samsare,
jivake koraye gadha
sei gadha ho’ye, samsarera bojha,
bahinu aneka kala
bardhakye ekhona, saktira abhave,
kichu nahi lage bhalo
jivana jatana, hoilo ekhona,
se vidya avidya bhelo
avidyara jwala, ghatilo bisama,
se vidya hoilo selo
tomara carana, bina kichu dhana,
samsare na ache ara
bhakativinoda, jada-vidya chadi,’
tuwa pada kore sara
Hare Krishna Prabhu
Please accept my humble obeisnces
All glories to Srila Prabhupada!
Is it not a good idea to reject all other books and just read Srila Prabhupada’s books and those books which Srila Prabhupada tells us to read?
Hare Krishna Aman
Yes. Srila Prabhupada tell us to just read his books. Why would we bother to read any other books? Everything is in Prabhupada’s books.
Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!
Srila Bhakti Vinoda Thakura has said what I feel in my heart, only so much nicer.
Please help me. I am a fallen soul. I want hold the feet of a pure devotee. Where am I to find this pure devotee? Please help me.
Read Srila Prabhupada’s books, you will find the pure devotee you are looking for in the pages of Srila Prabhupada’s books…